Appologies for the lack of info in recent months. Here is the latest news.
Children at Luwero returned to school on 2nd February for the first term in the new academic year. The term runs until 1stMay. In November last year 38 pupils sat their P7 end of primary school exams which they must pass before being allowed to commence secondary school education. Of those sitting the exams 85% achieved a Grade 1 pass and the remaining 15% a Grade 2 pass. Both staff and children are to be congratulated for the high standard of results. A 16 year old secondary school pupil along with her younger sister, were tragically drowned in an accident during the holidays. The sister fell into a pond and, when the 16-year old entered the water to save her, both sadly lost their lives.
The new 3-story building for the secondary school, pictured left, was completed in time for the start of the new term. The final cost of the building is below budget releasing funds for other work. We continue to thank those who support the project in numerous ways.
Gabriel and Deborah are looking forward to the birth of twins in June. Many supporters will be aware of their past difficulties. Their first child, Graham, only lived a few hours after birth and their second child was lost early during Deborah’s pregnancy. Please pray that Deborah keeps well during her pregnancy and that no complications arise with the birth of the babies. Gabriel recently had a mild bout of malaria, but has now recovered.
During March Gabriel plans a visit to Germany to meet Luwero supporters. Later in the year Gabriel may also visit both the USA and UK. Once dates of any UK visit are known details will be provided. UK visitors to Luwero will include speakers from Scotland attending the Pastor & Church Leader’s Conference in May and Youth Camp in August. Other planned visits include a church group in July and school group in October. Both groups will have specific projects to carry out during their visit.
Tom Willmott, one of our Directors, recently visited the project for two weeks. During his time at Luwero a church campaign was held and 75 people professed to become Christians. Thirty will be baptised towards the end of February.
Church members at Luwero hope to progress the building of their new church during 2015. The ground floor slab has now been completed ready for the superstructure to commence.
Thank you to those supporters who purchased 2015 Luwero calendars. Their sale contributed £966 to our Luwero funds.
Please remember Gabriel and his team in your prayers at this time. Earlier today violent rain and winds hit Luwero. The 4th classroom block which was under construction (foundations, walls and roof were complete) was destroyed. Only the foundations are left intact. Minor damage was caused to an accommodation building. Several trees were uprooted and others badly damaged. Mercifully no one was hurt or injured. Some houses in the local community have been destroyed.
Storms Loom in Uganda
Gabriel is understandably greatly saddened by the whole incident. Unfortunately it follows during a week in which one of the boys at the school died on Tuesday due to illness and a fellow pastor’s wife’s funeral took place this morning following a heart attack. I spent time with Gabriel talking with him and praying over the telephone this afternoon.
Deborah, Gabriel’s wife, suffered a miscarriage on Friday (11th November) and is very weak. As a result Gabriel has curtailed his UK visit to be with Deborah at Luwero.
Please pray that Deborah will recover and that both she and Gabriel will be strengthened at this difficult time.
Update on Deborah
We were able, through the good offices of KLM, to get Gabriel back to Uganda last Saturday. Contact has been made several times this week with Gabriel. Deborah is now out of danger and has been allowed home. She is however still very weak. Harriet meantime is looking after the duties that Deborah would normally undertake at the school.
Luwero’s 1st Annual Pastor’s and Church Leader’s Conference was held 16th to 19th May 2011. Project Director Gabriel Kijjambu expressed delight that approximately 400 pastors and leaders from many different churches and denominations attended the 4-day event. Delegates travelled up … Continue reading →